Tuesday 8 October 2013

Brother

And I shouted out to you, running through the night
                 Chasing the sparks from the bonfire light
Chasing shooting stars, chasing hopes, chasing wishes,
                 chasing the ephemeral twilight of time

We didn't know it then, did we?
    That our childhood melted.
That these days of
       ~football, chassies, sandcastle battles, flags~
fun
       ~with no consequences or responsibilities~
of freedom,
                  that they could fade,
like the sparks, scattered to the wind

We were close - for a time - for a few spins of the sun dial
you taught me to face a tackle head on,
to never pick a fight with someone bigger than me
         That words, are just words.
          But promises are promises
and that I should never doubt family

You set the bar high, and I grew tall to fill your shoes
        to follow your footsteps
I envy your independence, your strength and your lack of caution.
I envy your conviction in everything you do .

I hope you discover your passion,
and that the long meandering path set for you by life,
    that all the twists and turns
                               and set backs
                               and red herring choices
have taught you something valuable.


Brother, you and I have seen it all
                        and now you're tall and cry silently at our father's funeral
and hug me in a way that tries to deny how much we need each other,
but also cries it out,
 as we did,
              crying out to each other,
chasing sparks through the twilight.


No comments:

Post a Comment