Friday 14 February 2014

Life By Firing Squad

My back grazes gently against the brick wall of my past- graffitied with a WRONG WAY GO BACK sign, it rudely presses into me to remind me forwards is the way forwards.
I savour moments between shots, air to drowning man, water to the desert wanderer. Bare feet in sand curling toes on the final goodbye to a summer holiday.
'Come back', they say - expectant of abandon.

I breathe in the air of clarity - of remembering the last time life shot me.
Didn't see it coming the very first time - that was nice, lamb turned away from the knife.
Nor the second, as it tore into me from a different direction.
Now life has shot me so full of holes - I am shadow - bullets have trouble finding their mark.

A shot of heart break finds no heart beating.
A shot of death ache finds no tears leaking
A shot of regret finds no stomach dipping
A shot of failed hopes finds no purpose slipping.

I am shadow - light and flitting through the murk of night - the shades of gray I paint upon my body - spread my story to the wind. I am the shadow of the girl who was shot by life, I am strength and weakness in one.

Oh yes - come at me life! Hit me with your best shot, fire away!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment